Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014: A Year of Me

I hope everyone decided to make some goals this year. I know there are those of you who kinda just stop making goals after so many years of failure, after failure, after failure. But I really think that even if you make those goals and do them for only 3 months of the 12 you were planning on, it's better than not working towards them at all. Right? I married one of those types and this year I FINALLY got him to make just one personal goal, one family goal and one goal for us to work on as a couple. And so far I think things are going well. So I thought I would share with you my goals and what "theme" I decided to have for the year.


Now from the title of this post my first thought was..."gheeze! that sounds super selfish!". But before I second guessed my goals for the year I decided to explain to myself, on paper, of why I chose this.  

I have been married for almost 5 years now. About 3 months after I got married I found out I was pregnant and since then I have had two wonderful boys and had the blessing of being a Mom and Wife to my husband. I wouldn't change my "job" for anything. Seriously, I love it. I have challenging days but for the most part being home with my kids and there to take care of my husband has been the most rewarding and growing experience of my life. But... like alot of Moms and wives, I feel like I have neglected myself a little too much the last 5 years.

Spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically.

I think it just happens. You get so use to putting family needs in front of your own that a little bit of you just dissapears here and there. Now I am not saying I have completely let myself go but I feel like I am sort of "drawing water from an empty well." 

So...with that said I decided to focus on improving myself throughout the year by focusing on one aspect a month and then adding to it. I got the idea from a Friend of a Friend who picked 1 goal to work on a month and had 12 different goals. I thought it was such a good idea but I am going to be doing it a little different. 

To ensure that I really do them I have picked 6 areas of myself that I will work on and the second half of the year I will start them over just in case I fell off the bandwagon or neglected a couple goals along the way. So here are my goals:

  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JANUARY & JULY: Healthy Eating

This month I am starting with a juicing detox and then focusing on nothing but healthy eating habits and portions. Weight loss for me is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So far while doing it the last week or so I feel so much more energized (which is needed when you have two little boys) and my skin is clearing up which is also a bonus. I will keep you guys updated on the weight loss and healthy eating but so far I have been much more conscientious of not only what I eat but more of what I am feeding my family as well. My husband has already lost 12 lbs in 8 days. (MEN! It is seriously so unfair.)

  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FEBRUARY & AUGUST: Exercise & Being Active


This one is thing that I use to be religious about! I grew up playing Volleyball and other sports non-stop. I was pretty much a girl "Jock". But in the last 5 years I have probably worked out a total of 30 days combined and played volleyball about 20 times. PATHETIC! I look at my muscles (or really just saggy skin) and just think, "YEW!".  So, here is to toning up, the good endorphins that come from exercise and being more active with my family.

  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MARCH & SEPTEMBER: Prayer & Meditation
I have neglected my relationship with my Heavenly Father a little more than I would like to admit the last 4 years. Which is sad because raising kids I have to rely on my Heavenly Father for alot of help and council regarding them. So this month I am not only going to get into a habit of praying every morning and night, but also start up my yoga again. I love yoga for that reason alone. Time for meditation. I have a pretty ADD personality and I rarely just sit and think. (Which causes problems sometimes.) So yoga is one thing I want to get into the habit of doing regularly along with establishing a pattern of prayer.

  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 APRIL & OCTOBER: "Super" Mom & Wife


I know you might be thinking that this is not necessarily about me but I beg to differ. This is a HUGE part of who I am now and I think we have to work at being Mom's and wives just as much as we do with eating healthy and other habits. For some, the mothering and wifeing ability comes a little more naturally. You know, the women that were seriously just born "super" moms & they never argue with their husbands. (Which I think is complete crud by the way.) I am not saying I will ever be that, but I would love to get there someday. So this month, I am going to try not to yell, play with my kids more, put down the computer and talk with my husband more, and just focus on being an overall good Mom and Wife.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MAY & NOVEMBER: Study & Journaling


 This month I am going to focus on my intellectual side. After college textbooks I was so turned off of reading anything that was not a magazine for years! Or writing for that matter. But I love reading now. Fantasy, romance, science fiction, adventure, Non-fiction. Really anything. My sister-in-laws got me started a few months ago and I have not stopped since. I especially want to focus on my scripture study and getting into the habit of writing in my journal every day. I love looking back in my journals and reading family history journals and I want my kids to have that one day.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JUNE & DECEMBER: Enhancing My Appearance


Call it vanity if you will but I am a little too comfortable in my yoga pants. It's sad when my husband leaves for school in the morning and I look the exact same way I did when he gets home that evening. Or the fact that whenever I do dress up my 3 year old son says, (while obvisouly knowing something is different) "Mom. You look pretty!". Super sweet but kinda a sucker punch to the gut. 
FACT: Women feel better when they look better. 
This is something that I have to explain to my husband all the time and he still has a hard time understanding it. Whenever I wake up, shower, do my hair and make-up, and put on pants that are NOT stretchy...my days ALWAYS go better. I feel better about myself, I am more motivated, and I am kinder to those around me. So this month I am focusing on my outward appearance and getting into the habit of getting dressed for the day, EVERYDAY.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, there they are. 
I am very hopeful and excited about working on my goals this year. If you are interested in doing it with me let me know and I will send you a monthly tracker that I made up to check off each day of the month.


Cheers to 2014!

(Images found on Google)





2 comments:

  1. Hello! I found you on Pinterest, and followed you this far as I am also a LeBaron! Your FIL, Alan, is my 1st cousin, his dad is my dad's older brother. I'm in the Seattle area, and don't make it to any LeBaron reunions. This has been fun and interesting to see a part of your family's joy and love thru their blogs. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic resource that you point out here, happy to see such informative stuff.
    Thanks a lot for sharing. I appreciate your hard efforts.
    Good luck!

    Best 3D Printers:

    B9 Printer

    B9 3D Printer

    B9 Core 550

    B9 Creator v1.2

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete